Sunday, March 22, 2009

Everyone's at 'Skins'

"Why can't we all, all just be honest, admit to ourselves, that everyone's on it?" ponders Lily Allen on one of her best songs, "Everyone's at it". If you do not live on Mars, or if you are not completely dumb, you know that Lily's not talking about 'Desperate Housewives', but about drugs. The message is simple: illegal drugs are everywhere, and there's no point in pretending the opposite.

Apparently, my favorite British girl wasn't the first one to think like that (duh! really?) and that's where comes Skins. That show, broadly speaking, is a 90210 of England, showing the complicated lifes of beautiful teenagers full of hormones and issues to deal with. But with drugs. Lots of drugs. It is all about being cool and getting crazy as much as possible. You do drugs and you will be able to hang out with the cool guys and fuck the hot girls.

Obviously, that is only what a superficial look at Skins would lead you to believe. But if you pay closer attention, the series is not really defending the use of drugs, it is only showing life how it is. I mean, I never been to England, but I can tell you that, at least in NYU, kids do a lot of drugs. I lost count of how many times I had to say no... I'm pretty sure that happens in pretty much every college in the occidental world.

Anyway, back to Skins, the third season (which is the only one that I watched so far) basically shows the lifes of around 5 girls and 4 boys. Everyone is hot, everyone does drugs, they fuck each other a lot, there are lesbians, cute twins (one of which is lesbian), nobody has peace of mind, and the soundtrack is pop British music (and by that, I mean, music that plays in England, not necessarily made by British people). Sure I would expect to hear Lily Allen (she's everywhere!) and Klaxons, but how about Little Boots? How cool is it to listen to 'Meddle' in such a great show?

To sum up, I love 'Skins'. Despite not working, and not going anywhere, my Spring Break wasn't all bad. I have a new favorite show. Sure it exaggerates a little bit in its description of British teens (I'm assuming it does...) but, come to think of it, South Park exaggerates a lot and that's exactly what makes it so special.

Oh, and for the record. I NEVER did illegal drugs, I don't plan to do it, but I don't have a problem with people that do it. Everybody is free to do whatever increases his utility-this is an Economics expression, just don't ask me to do the same.

No comments: