Sunday, April 26, 2009

Album review, Fantasies, Metric

"I tremble, they're gonna eat me alive...", that's how the potent single "Help, I'm alive", one of the best tracks of 2009 so far, starts. That I freaking love this track is no secret, I even dedicated a whole post to it before. But the question is: is the rest of "Fantasies" that good? Short answer is: no, but it gets close.

What I always liked about Metric was that, even thought they are the kind of happy indie band with a female vocalist that Yeah Yeah Yeahs are, there is heart in their music! They do stuff that is friendly to the dance floor, but still touches me in a deep way. And they were never as good in doing that as they are in Fantasies.

Sure there is nothing really revolutionary or different. You hear it and think: "Oh, it's just another Metric album". And that's true, but you know sometimes by recognizing their limitations and NOT changing much, bands manage to do their best work. Take notes, The Killers!

Will this be in year end lists? Maybe no, with so many "Animal Collectives" these days, but at least Metric can expect to receive "Stadium Love".

Grade: 8 out of 10

No comments: